This Children’s Day give your child a unique gift- the gift of safety
As parents, we all guard our children, especially the younger ones. But have you ever given it a thought that a child needs safety while they are surfing the net too?
Yes, children as young as 3 years old need to be guarded against the ill effects of the internet.
The biggest threat for children between the age of 3 to 9 is usually exposure to inappropriate content.
While putting a child lock seems the easiest way it does not prevent the child from being exposed to mild but yet adult content. This applies especially while watching YouTube videos where children keep clicking on suggested videos etc.
Curiosity among older children that is above the age of 6 can also lead to exposure to inappropriate content. The voice options which children learn to use easily at an early age sometimes can be fatal to their growing minds.
So here are a few ways to safeguard your young bud.
- Never let your child know the password to your phone or laptop/tab
- If you wish to give your child a phone to use in an emergency, a simple phone is safer than a smartphone.
- Set routines and timings to watch videos or play games.
- Never let your child use the internet for long periods without adult supervision. Like taking an afternoon nap while your child is on the phone.
- Check the history of apps like YouTube to keep a tab on what your child is watching or clicking on.
- Keep the computer, phone, and tv in a common area where you can monitor the screen.
- Install child filters and safety locks so that they are not exposed to pornography.
- Around the age of 6 to 7 is the ideal time to teach your kids the threats of the internet. Talk to them about the dangers of sharing pictures, personal information, etc
Finally, the best way is to limit exposure to the internet or download and use apps that are children friendly like PurpleTurtleClub.
Indulge in real-time play and interaction, encourage them to make friends, and read good books.